Gender, Skilled Migration and IT industry: a comparative study of India and the UK
Through a multidisciplinary, comparative analysis across two countries, and of the experiences of migrants, two significant but separate fields of academic research will be brought together in GSM-IT:
- gender issues in IT
- gender and skilled migration
This project uses academic and industry interests and approaches to explore four questions
- What are the patterns of gender differences in the labour market among migrant and non-migrant workers in the IT sector in India and the UK?
- What processes have led to gendered patterns of workplace experiences among migrant and non-migrant workers in the IT sector in India and the UK?
- What is the role of firms, industry and national regulations and cultures in creating barriers and opportunities for migrant and non-migrant men and women's career entry and progression and labour markets?
- What are the best practices for integrating women into firms in each country and how does this differ by migration status?